Colombia is truly a special destination that was sadly off limits to travelers for many decades. Full of spectacularly beautiful landscapes and rich cultural treasures, this once-divided country underwent a historic transformation after the landmark peace deal of 2016. The flawed yet hopeful peace accord marked the end of long-standing domestic conflict, but today the country finds itself once again at a crossroads as it charts it way forward.
This is a politically complicated and geographically diverse country which has propelled itself to the forefront of economic and cultural innovation in Latin America. Nation travelers have been astonished by the natural beauty and diversity of the countryside, the charm of the cities, and most of all, by the welcoming Colombians, rightly proud of their unique country and working hard to build a better future.
Our 11-night program includes the dynamic and picturesque cities of Bogotá, Medellín, and Cartagena, as well as time in small towns scattered throughout the lush countryside, all in one of the most biodiverse regions of the world. Throughout the journey, we’ll meet with historians, human-rights workers, government officials, academics, documentarians, artists, and others who continue the process of helping to shape the new Colombia.
- Learn about the landmark peace process and where things stand today with personal tours of the Center for Memory, Peace, and Reconciliation and private lectures with inspiring human rights leaders working with displaced women, indigenous cultures, and de-mobilized FARC members retraining for civilian life.
- Observe colorful wildlife such as toucans and motmots, and visit the majestic high-altitude Parque National Natural Purace with its unique and rare plant life in this nation of strikingly rich ecological zones.
- Experience vibrant regional cuisines at a variety of carefully selected restaurants that showcase Colombia’s emerging food scene and tour a coffee plantation to sample special brews.
- Wander the charming streets of colonial towns while admiring beautiful Spanish architecture and awe-inspiring cathedrals and visit the first-class Medellin Botanical Gardens.
- Explore lively artisanal markets in colorful hill towns that are home to indigenous peoples. Sample unique local delicacies and explore stalls hanging with dried medicinal herbs.
- Marvel at massive volcanic-rock statues that rival those found on Easter Island, dating from over 5,000 years ago and learn about the people who created them.
- Tour the transformational metro-cable cars and escalators of mountainous Medellin, innovations that have helped transform once poverty-stricken neighborhoods into vibrant communities
- Visit the Gold Museum to learn about the past and present impact of the gold trade on the country’s economy and environment.
100% of the proceeds from our travel programs support The Nation’s journalism.