The Nation, a weekly print magazine and daily website that covers politics, culture, and the arts, is seeking a Copy Director for a full-time position in our Manhattan office. The Copy Director is responsible for guaranteeing the accuracy and readability of all Nation content and for creating and maintaining the systems necessary for that, including managing a staff of several employees, as well as freelance proofreaders and copy editors as needed. Applicants must be able to copy-edit with speed and skill in a fast-paced environment under deadline pressure, working closely with the editorial and production staff; collaboration skills are prized. Strong applicants will have experience with various content management systems, especially InCopy and WordPress, as well as an interest in contemporary politics, foreign affairs, culture and the arts. The Copy Director must be able to manage a smooth and efficient copy-flow schedule for both the print magazine and website, solve bottlenecks efficiently, and have excellent communication skills.
Applicants must have at least five years of copy-editing and proofreading experience and at least two years of managerial experience. This is a full-time union position. Applicants must be based in New York City or be able to commute daily. Salary is commensurate with experience, and the benefits are excellent.
The Nation LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws.
E-mail your cover letter and résumé to: email@example.com. No phone calls or postal mail, please. The base salary for this position is $74,008.77 and can be scaled up based on experience.
This position is covered by the collective-bargaining agreement between The Nation Company LLC and The NewsGuild of New York, CWA Local 31003, AFL-CIO.
Digital Communications Manager
The Nation, America’s leading progressive print and online magazine, seeks a Digital Communications Manager (www.thenation.com) to join our congenial New York City office. As a workplace, we pride ourselves on our progressive values and excellent benefits, and we strongly encourage candidates who identify as people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+, and/or gender non-conforming to apply.
This position will be responsible for overseeing and growing The Nation’s email marketing and digital spaces. We’re looking for someone who is proactive, innovative, and prepared to help each business department consistently produce revenue to meet and exceed ambitious targets.
The right person will be excited to think strategically about testing and segmenting, and developing higher value list segments (i.e. books list, swing state list, a highly engaged list, etc.); will have experience with list innovation and monetization, will have a track record of success in multichannel digital marketing, and will be comfortable helping to balance competing departmental priorities. Email production and training, monthly reports, understanding of evolving best practices, developing and implementing strategies for list growth, establishing digital style guide, and maintaining a company-wide email marketing calendar are all part of the job.
- Direct, oversee and implement Nation email strategy. Work cross-departmentally to expand and improve Nation email marketing, editorial and advertising campaigns.
- Develop cohesive branding guidelines and ensure adherence to style guide.
- Work with advertising clients in developing dedicated email products.
- Oversee our internal “user experience” team to test new digital products.
- Engage like-minded organizations in list swaps, dedicated email sends, joint campaigns and other methods to drive list growth.
- Advise on Nation digital media strategy, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Work with marketing team to create website experience as it relates to audience segmentation, the paywall meter, and other business needs.
- Coordinate with our extended marketing team, including third-party agencies, vendors and consultants to develop and execute integrated digital marketing campaigns.
- Coordinate across business and editorial departments to ensure digital and email performance is evaluated on an ongoing basis (insights, measurement, analysis, reporting).
- Stay current with industry trends and the competition, and experiment with emerging platforms and technologies.
- Strong creative, strategic, and analytical skills.
- Experience and demonstrated ability working with email databases, social media and executing and implementing digital campaigns.
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS and graphic design.
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to prioritize.
- Highly detail-oriented and organized.
- Proficiency in Excel, Google Analytics, and other reporting tools.
- Familiarity with the wider progressive political landscape a bonus.
The Nation offers competitive salary and excellent benefits, including generous health care, parental leave, and vacation. The Nation Co. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws. This position is covered by the collective-bargaining agreement between The Nation and The NewsGuild of N.Y., CWA Local 31003, AFL-CIO. The starting salary is $63,795 and can scale up depending on experience. Send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or postal mail please.
For more than three decades The Nation magazine has provided an award-winning internship program for early-career journalists interested in journalism and publishing.
Recently, The Nation established a new publishing internship to identify and nurture the next generation of non-profit and publishing change-makers. Working one at a time on a part-time basis, interns gain marketable knowledge of the magazine’s business operations working cross-departmentally with a range of Nation publishing professionals including those in the ad sales, communications, direct-marketing, fundraising and special projects departments.
Recent college and graduate school aspirants will experience a comprehensive immersion into the business operations of The Nation as they are taught the tools of the trade by assisting publishing professionals with a range of hands-on tasks supplemented by educational seminars and participation in staff meetings and strategy sessions. Work will include developing donor prospect research, assisting with small-batch personalized cultivation packages, researching, maintaining, and curating media contact lists and databases, assisting with PR social media campaigns (Instagram, Press Room Twitter account), assisting with customer service issues, creating direct mail campaign binders, participating in event strategizing and preparation, letter-writing, help with prospecting potential advertisers and preparing sales packages.
Interns can expect a ground-floor introduction into many of the publishing operations that comprise a magazine, including ad sales, subscription acquisition, direct marketing, small-donor cultivation and solicitation, communications and messaging and public events. In all instances, the aim will be to contextualize intern work, to explain how small, discrete tasks fit into the larger whole and to instill a range of marketable skills and publishing experience over the course of the intern sessions.
Intern will be directly supervised by President Erin O’Mara and Associate Publisher Peter Rothberg and will work with a range of experienced Nation publishing professionals.
The internship can be either full or part-time, depending on applicant’s circumstances.
Compensation and Credit
Interns are paid $15 per hour. Whenever possible, The Nation will assist interns in arranging for academic or work-study credit. Interns will receive three paid vacation days and three paid sick days. There are no other benefits.
Applicants must submit the following:
1. A cover letter that explains why you want to work for The Nation;
2. A resume;
3. Two letters of recommendation with contact information for the referees included. Letters may be mailed directly by recommenders, or may be included with the rest of your application materials. Interviews will be conducted for the final candidates
4. All application materials should be submitted electronically to email@example.com.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. All application materials become the property of The Nation. Please address all queries to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Deadlines and Duration of Program
Application deadline: April 15, 2018
Notification deadline: May 15, 2018
Program duration: June 11 – December 21, 2018
The Nation Co. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.