Audience Development Manager
Consumer Marketing Department
The Nation, the subscription-driven magazine and progressive digital media company, is seeking an experienced, energetic and flexible audience development manager to handle all facets of marketing its print magazine and digital products. Candidates should have 5 or more years of relevant, consumer-facing digital and print marketing experience, and possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Experience in customer journeys a plus.
We’re looking for an entrepreneurial, personable, and creative thinker with a proven track record in audience development. A demonstrated interest in progressive politics and culture helpful. We seek an accomplished marketer able to connect our mission with a passionate audience to build a subscriber base truly committed to public-minded, independent journalism.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to understand the media market and business context, synthesize all relevant information, and tell a compelling story that leads to actionable recommendations, and present findings to management. This position requires extensive consumer marketing experience and expert knowledge of existing research techniques and emerging trends. Must have a demonstrated ability to manage a large volume of complex work effectively and efficiently while being detail-orientated.
- Management of subscription campaigns across all acquisition channels – digital, print and other media
- Creates and executes all new business acquisition direct mail
- Creates and maintains best-practices in subscription marketing and digital user experience
- Manages paid social media ad campaigns and creates regular reports for analysis
- Works with Associate Publisher to create compelling marketing materials as needed for all Nation subscribers on every platform
- Oversees relationships with digital vendors to ensure a good user experience
- Manages all website promotions and on-site customer experience
- Creates and maintains monthly reports as related to audience development initiatives. Offers analytical insight
- Conducts quality assurance checks to ensure that campaigns meet expectations
- Identifies and implements opportunities for improvement by mapping and analyzing the customer journey
- Other related duties as assigned
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate
- Requires impeccable verbal and written communication skills with clear, correct grammar
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to prioritize
- Highly detail-oriented, energetic, and organized
- Immersed in media and audience development community and on top of industry trends, challenges and opportunities
- Knowledge of and experience working with major fulfillment service bureaus
- Commitment to and passion for The Nation and for progressive politics is helpful
- 5+ years of successful audience development management, including print and online titles
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent required
- Solid understanding of marketing communications and new and emerging media platforms (i.e. mobile, digital, social media)
- Strategic thinker with superior analytical skills
- Experience making recommendations based on qualitative and quantitative research and marketing strategy
- Ability to identify short and long term goals to achieve overall team/company objectives
- Ability to drive sound and inspiring solutions and recommendations for the business
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually
- Digital and technical savvy, including experience working on social media initiatives, along with traditional print marketing
- Fluency in Excel, Google and Facebook
The Nation Co. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws and regulations. Please send a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
This position is covered by the collective-bargaining agreement between The Nation and The NewsGuild of N.Y., CWA Local 31003, AFL-CIO. This position is a 5-day per week, full time position with great benefits.
The Nation seeks a Senior Editor. Candidates should be steeped in progressive politics, ideas, movements and culture. The Senior Editor will assign and edit a wide range of articles, from short op-eds and comments to long-form features and essays. We seek applicants who are creative and forward-thinking, with a proven track record of producing journalism with impact. At least 3 years of similar experience is required, as is the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
Applicants must be based in New York City or willing to relocate or commute daily. The office is small and collegial, and collaborating with other editors is prized.
The Nation Company LLC is an equal-opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws and regulations. Please send a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
This position is covered by the collective-bargaining agreement between The Nation and the News Guild of New York, CWA Local 31003, AFL-CIO. The starting salary is $74,000 and can scale up depending on experience.
The Victor S. Navasky Internship Program
For more than three decades, The Nation Institute, in conjunction with The Nation magazine, has provided an internship program for early-career journalists. For more information about the Victor S. Navasky Internship Program, click here.
The Nation Business Internship
Recently, The Nation established a new publishing internship to identify and nurture the next generation of non-profit and publishing change-makers. Working one at a time on a part-time basis, interns gain marketable knowledge of the magazine’s business operations working cross-departmentally with a range of Nation publishing professionals including those in the ad sales, communications, direct-marketing, fundraising and special projects departments. We’re still taking applications for winter/spring, 2018. Click here for info.