IT/Publishing (Director or Manager)
The Nation, the weekly magazine and progressive digital media company, is seeking a flexible, self-starting candidate to manage the technical, operational and creative elements of print and online production for the magazine, website and ancillary products. This is an exciting opportunity to support the operations of a 152-year-old – but always forward thinking – media company by ensuring content is delivered accurately and on-time. This job includes an element of technical support for multiple K4 users and a collaboration with web operations and internal IT. Candidates should have 5 or more years of technical production experience in an office environment and possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
1. Responsible for print production needs. Working with a small department, ensure the print magazine is designed, prepped and at the press on time and error free for every issue. The primary role of this position is technical and managerial.
2. With deep understanding of K4 and other programs that support design and publishing, streamline workflow, reduce human error, analyze needs of different platforms (web and print) to produce clean files for each area. Troubleshoot K4 problems for all users.
3. Work with Editorial and Design to meet their needs in the workflow. This includes managing a production map for every issue.
4. Facilitate creation of house ads and other marketing projects. This may include new design or updating current templates. Offer marketing help to other stakeholders including reviewing ad specs, tweaking files to fit and even creating small ads for clients. Work with Creative Director to help bring creative vision into production.
5. Produce articles for TheNation.com, including articles from the print magazine, as well as articles native to the website. Working with Web Operations and in-house IT, coordinate all production platforms for The Nation, including print, website, apps, and other digital products.
6. As back up to in-house IT, must be comfortable helping others with common office applications (or willing and interested to learn) such as email, web browsers and Microsoft Office. Proficiency with Filemaker Pro and Adobe Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat important. Must be comfortable with:
- Basic troubleshooting of workstations and printers (ie. help with restarting, checking cable connections, network connections, etc.)
- Basic support for users for iOS and Android devices (help with setting up email and similar).
- Comfortable with basic server troubleshooting (ie. help with restarting, checking cable connections, network connections, etc.).Comfortable with basic admin for Google Apps and Dropbox (help setup new accounts, reset passwords, etc.)
- Comfortable with admin and support of users with regards to the K4 Publishing system/Adobe InDesign/Adobe InCopy (trouble shooting all aspects in concert with IT staff)
7. As support for web operations, provide a backup which could include monitoring web traffic, consult vendors and other stakeholders on problems or new developments. Monitor content provided on site to ensure consistency and standards.
8. Production of ancillary products such as e-books or digital premiums.
9. Manage processes and work flow of small staff.
10. Special projects as required.
The Nation Co. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws and regulations. Please send a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
This position is covered by the collective-bargaining agreement between The Nation and The NewsGuild of N.Y., CWA Local 31003, AFL-CIO. This position could be full or part time – both with great benefits.
The Victor S. Navasky Internship Program
For more than three decades, The Nation Institute, in conjunction with The Nation magazine, has provided an internship program for early-career journalists. For more information about the Victor S. Navasky Internship Program, click here.