Email Marketing Assistant
The Nation, America’s leading progressive print and online magazine, seeks an Email Marketing Assistant to join our congenial New York City office. As a workplace, we pride ourselves on our progressive values and excellent benefits, and we strongly encourage candidates who identify as people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+, and/or gender non-conforming to apply.
This position will work closely with management to implement The Nation’s email marketing initiatives and aid in audience development. We’re looking for someone who is proactive, organized, detail-oriented and eager to learn.
The right person will be excited to set up testing and will be comfortable working with multiple stakeholders across departments. This is an entry-level position with room to grow.
- Work cross-departmentally to produce and deploy all Nation email marketing under the direction of management.
- Execute integrated digital marketing campaigns at the direction of the extended marketing team, including third-party agencies, vendors and consultants.
- Assist in the setup and monitoring of triggered and transactional email efforts.
- Maintain and proactively communicate updates to the email marketing calendar.
- Work with our internal “user experience” team to test new digital products.
- Assist marketing team in updating creative (email templates, website collateral, etc.) as needed.
- Assist the advertising team in their work deploying dedicated email products for advertising clients.
- Work closely with the marketing team to maintain email database by creating, cleaning, segmenting and updating lists as needed.
- Assist with the integration of multiple data sources to better target marketing efforts.
- Track and report on email marketing performance and list growth.
- Cover reception desk as needed (approximately 2 hours/day).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong creative and analytical skills.
- Experience working with email databases, social media and basic knowledge of HTML/CSS and graphic design a plus.
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to prioritize.
- Highly detail-oriented, organized and driven.
- Proficiency in Excel, Google Analytics, and other reporting tools.
- Familiarity with the wider progressive political landscape a bonus.
The Nation offers competitive salary and excellent benefits, including generous health care, parental leave, and vacation. The Nation Co. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws. This position is covered by the collective-bargaining agreement between The Nation and The NewsGuild of N.Y., CWA Local 31003, AFL-CIO. The starting salary is $42,964 and can scale up depending on experience.
Send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. No phone calls or postal mail please.
The Nation, America’s leading progressive print and online journal, seeks freelance newsletter writer/editor. We take pride in our progressive values and we strongly encourage candidates who identify as people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+, and/or gender nonconforming to apply.
We seek an editor/writer to produce a new, weekly editorial newsletter. With a focus on Nation reporting of news and stories of cultural interest, this person will produce a new Nation newsletter (approximately 500 words per week) designed to highlight the best of The Nation in the context of the larger news cycle, and drive traffic to thenation.com at the same time as it develops an independent audience based on a unique voice and timely curation.
We are seeking someone familiar with Nation writers, Nation content and the broader world of independent media who has experience engaging progressive audiences. The ideal candidate will be an astute writer who can navigate American politics and current events to create context showing the importance of Nation content. We’re looking for someone who brings energy and curiosity to their work, and who thrives working collaboratively. The editor will pay particularly close attention to voice and tone, and demonstrate an ability to convey both impact and humor. Excellent editorial and news judgement are essential, as well as the ability to craft creative headlines and social media promotions under deadline pressure are also critical. This person will collaborate with editors and must be able to write a subject line, social media prompts and tweets and will work with the President to meet audience development goals.
This is a freelance position on a contract basis. The Nation Co. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws.
Send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org No phone calls or postal mail please.
The Nation Business Internship
For more than three decades The Nation magazine has provided an award-winning internship program for early-career journalists interested in journalism and publishing.
Recently, The Nation established a new publishing internship to identify and nurture the next generation of non-profit and publishing change-makers. Working one at a time on a part-time basis, interns gain marketable knowledge of the magazine’s business operations working cross-departmentally with a range of Nation publishing professionals including those in the ad sales, communications, direct-marketing, fundraising and special projects departments.
Recent college and graduate school aspirants will experience a comprehensive immersion into the business operations of The Nation as they are taught the tools of the trade by assisting publishing professionals with a range of hands-on tasks supplemented by educational seminars and participation in staff meetings and strategy sessions. Work will include developing donor prospect research, assisting with small-batch personalized cultivation packages, researching, maintaining, and curating media contact lists and databases, assisting with PR social media campaigns (Instagram, Press Room Twitter account), assisting with customer service issues, creating direct mail campaign binders, participating in event strategizing and preparation, letter-writing, help with prospecting potential advertisers and preparing sales packages.
Interns can expect a ground-floor introduction into many of the publishing operations that comprise a magazine, including ad sales, subscription acquisition, direct marketing, small-donor cultivation and solicitation, communications and messaging and public events. In all instances, the aim will be to contextualize intern work, to explain how small, discrete tasks fit into the larger whole and to instill a range of marketable skills and publishing experience over the course of the intern sessions.
Intern will be directly supervised by President Erin O’Mara and Associate Publisher Peter Rothberg and will work with a range of experienced Nation publishing professionals.
The internship can be either full or part-time, depending on applicant’s circumstances.
Compensation and Credit
Interns are paid $15 per hour. Whenever possible, The Nation will assist interns in arranging for academic or work-study credit. Interns will receive three paid vacation days and three paid sick days. There are no other benefits.
Applicants must submit the following:
1. A cover letter that explains why you want to work for The Nation;
2. A resume;
3. Two letters of recommendation with contact information for the referees included. Letters may be mailed directly by recommenders, or may be included with the rest of your application materials. Interviews will be conducted for the final candidates
4. All application materials should be submitted electronically to email@example.com.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. All application materials become the property of The Nation. Please address all queries to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Deadlines and Duration of Program
Application deadline: November 8, 2019
Notification deadline: November 22, 2019
Program duration: January 7 – July 3, 2020
Application deadline: April 1, 2020
Notification deadline: May 15, 2020
Program duration: June 30 – December 18, 2020
The Nation Co. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.