The Nation, America’s leading progressive print and online journal, seeks a Washington correspondent. We take pride in our progressive values and excellent benefits, and we strongly encourage candidates who identify as people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+, and/or gender nonconforming to apply.
We’re looking for a talented writer and resourceful investigative reporter, an ambitious self-starter eager to break news and make a reputation. The successful candidate will have experience working in a fast-paced news environment and familiarity with The Nation and its coverage. The successful candidate should also:
- Be able to write quickly on a wide variety of topics, with a knowledge of fundamental issues and policy, not just political dynamics or horse-race coverage
- Have existing sources in Washington, particularly with elected officials on the left, or the ability to develop them
- Have a strong sense of the movements that impact politics and policy in DC
- Be able to write quick, fast web pieces as well as long-form magazine stories
- Be willing to work with editors and other Nation writers who have overlapping interests
- Be able to produce solid independent reporting that is not limited by partisan bias, but that does have moral clarity and a clear progressive perspective
This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC. The salary is commensurate with experience, and the benefits are excellent.
E-mail your cover letter and résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or postal mail, please.
The Nation offers competitive salary and excellent benefits, including generous health care, parental leave, and vacation. The Nation Co. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws. This position is covered by the collective-bargaining agreement between The Nation and The NewsGuild of N.Y., CWA Local 31003, AFL-CIO.
Executive Web Editor
The Nation, a progressive media outlet publishing a weekly print magazine and website covering politics, culture, and the arts, seeks an Executive Web Editor to manage our daily digital coverage and develop a digital strategy that supports the Nation’s mission and grows audience and reach. With a focus on opinion and deep analysis of news and stories of cultural interest, this person will manage the flow of daily content including assigning and editing as needed and coordinate the digital publication of articles from other editors.
We are seeking someone to take thenation.com to the next level, growing our digital audience (web, social, newsletter) and strengthening our political impact by managing the user experience, keeping abreast of new trends and technology, managing pacing and content and by assigning timely, distinctive commentary and analysis that offers a genuinely distinctive progressive perspective on events.
The Executive Web Editor will determine KPIs and implement with the editorial team. The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker, with deep knowledge of American politics and culture and global events, editorial experience and a familiarity with The Nation. Excellent editorial and news judgement are essential, as well as the ability to craft creative headlines and social media promotions under deadline pressure.
The Executive Web Editor will work with the Editor to set the content strategy for thenation.com and will also work with the President to meet audience development goals and create new digital products.
Position works out of The Nation’s New York City offices. Congenial workplace offering competitive salary and excellent benefits. The Nation Co. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws.
Send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: email@example.com No phone calls or postal mail please.
Email Marketing Manager
The Nation, America’s leading progressive print and online magazine, seeks an Email Marketing Manager (www.thenation.com) to join our congenial New York City office. As a workplace, we pride ourselves on our progressive values and excellent benefits, and we strongly encourage candidates who identify as people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+, and/or gender non-conforming to apply.
This position will be responsible for overseeing and growing The Nation’s email marketing and digital spaces. We’re looking for someone who is proactive, innovative, and prepared to help each business department consistently produce revenue to meet and exceed ambitious targets.
The right person will be excited to think strategically about testing and segmenting, and developing higher value list segments (i.e. books list, swing state list, a highly engaged list, etc.); will have experience with list innovation and monetization, will have a track record of success in multichannel digital marketing, and will be comfortable helping to balance competing departmental priorities. Email production and training, monthly reports, understanding of evolving best practices, developing and implementing strategies for list growth, establishing digital style guide, and maintaining a company-wide email marketing calendar are all part of the job.
- Direct, oversee and implement Nation email strategy. Work cross-departmentally to expand and improve Nation email marketing, editorial and advertising campaigns.
- Develop cohesive branding guidelines and ensure adherence to style guide.
- Work with advertising clients in developing dedicated email products.
- Oversee our internal “user experience” team to test new digital products.
- Engage like-minded organizations in list swaps, dedicated email sends, joint campaigns and other methods to drive list growth.
- Advise on Nation digital media strategy, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Work with marketing team to create website experience as it relates to audience segmentation, the paywall meter, and other business needs.
- Coordinate with our extended marketing team, including third-party agencies, vendors and consultants to develop and execute integrated digital marketing campaigns.
- Coordinate across business and editorial departments to ensure digital and email performance is evaluated on an ongoing basis (insights, measurement, analysis, reporting).
- Stay current with industry trends and the competition, and experiment with emerging platforms and technologies.
- Strong creative, strategic, and analytical skills.
- Experience and demonstrated ability working with email databases, social media and executing and implementing digital campaigns.
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS and graphic design.
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to prioritize.
- Highly detail-oriented and organized.
- Proficiency in Excel, Google Analytics, and other reporting tools.
- Familiarity with the wider progressive political landscape a bonus.
The Nation offers competitive salary and excellent benefits, including generous health care, parental leave, and vacation. The Nation Co. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws. This position is covered by the collective-bargaining agreement between The Nation and The NewsGuild of N.Y., CWA Local 31003, AFL-CIO. The starting salary is $63,795 and can scale up depending on experience. Send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or postal mail please.
For more than three decades The Nation magazine has provided an award-winning internship program for early-career journalists interested in journalism and publishing.
Recently, The Nation established a new publishing internship to identify and nurture the next generation of non-profit and publishing change-makers. Working one at a time on a part-time basis, interns gain marketable knowledge of the magazine’s business operations working cross-departmentally with a range of Nation publishing professionals including those in the ad sales, communications, direct-marketing, fundraising and special projects departments.
Recent college and graduate school aspirants will experience a comprehensive immersion into the business operations of The Nation as they are taught the tools of the trade by assisting publishing professionals with a range of hands-on tasks supplemented by educational seminars and participation in staff meetings and strategy sessions. Work will include developing donor prospect research, assisting with small-batch personalized cultivation packages, researching, maintaining, and curating media contact lists and databases, assisting with PR social media campaigns (Instagram, Press Room Twitter account), assisting with customer service issues, creating direct mail campaign binders, participating in event strategizing and preparation, letter-writing, help with prospecting potential advertisers and preparing sales packages.
Interns can expect a ground-floor introduction into many of the publishing operations that comprise a magazine, including ad sales, subscription acquisition, direct marketing, small-donor cultivation and solicitation, communications and messaging and public events. In all instances, the aim will be to contextualize intern work, to explain how small, discrete tasks fit into the larger whole and to instill a range of marketable skills and publishing experience over the course of the intern sessions.
Intern will be directly supervised by President Erin O’Mara and Associate Publisher Peter Rothberg and will work with a range of experienced Nation publishing professionals.
The internship can be either full or part-time, depending on applicant’s circumstances.
Compensation and Credit
Interns are paid $15 per hour. Whenever possible, The Nation will assist interns in arranging for academic or work-study credit. Interns will receive three paid vacation days and three paid sick days. There are no other benefits.
Applicants must submit the following:
1. A cover letter that explains why you want to work for The Nation;
2. A resume;
3. Two letters of recommendation with contact information for the referees included. Letters may be mailed directly by recommenders, or may be included with the rest of your application materials. Interviews will be conducted for the final candidates
4. All application materials should be submitted electronically to email@example.com.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. All application materials become the property of The Nation. Please address all queries to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Deadlines and Duration of Program
Application deadline: April 15, 2018
Notification deadline: May 15, 2018
Program duration: June 11 – December 21, 2018
The Nation Co. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.