The Vietnam War (known as the “American War” in Vietnam) left an indelible imprint on both the land and people of this small Southeast Asian country, yet more than half of the current population was born after the war ended. Vietnam today is a country looking forward—a geopolitically important nation with a booming economy charting its own course on the modern world stage. Join award-winning TV, radio, and print journalist (and The Nation’s former foreign editor) George Black on an 11-night immersive experience as we explore the political, economic, cultural, and environmental opportunities and challenges facing this fascinating and complex country. We will meet with artists, journalists, former Viet Minh soldiers and ex-American G.I.s, activists and entrepreneurs for an insider’s look at Vietnam’s difficult past, frenetic present, and (hopefully) promising future.
- Participate in a pre-departure discussion with longtime Nation contributor George Black about Vietnam’s history and politics.
- Attend numerous exclusive meetings and discussions with fascinating individuals including artists, historians, media and literary figures, a former Việt Cộng soldier, former American GIs, staff from the Vietnam Association for Victims of Agent Orange, and many more.
- See iconic sites such as China Beach, the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, and the site of the rooftop evacuation made famous during the fall of Saigon.
- Visit the demilitarized zone (DMZ) and meet with members of an emergency response team that detonate unexploded munitions, which are still regularly found in the area, and villagers who have made these discoveries.
- Discover the magic of Huế, a former capital under 13 emperors of the Nguyen dynasty whose palaces and shrines evoke images of its former glory.
- Immerse yourself in the atmosphere of Hanoi’s Old Quarter, a delightfully chaotic mix of hidden alleyways, charming architecture, and lively markets.
- Explore Hạ Long Bay, a UNESCO World Heritage site featuring karst islands and crystalline waters, on a customized post-tour extension.
These are just a few of the many highlights of this extraordinary program. See the complete itinerary to fully appreciate our rich and comprehensive tour.
This all-inclusive trip costs $6,599 person plus $320 for internal airfare ($1,320 single supplement) and includes hotel accommodations for 11 nights, all transportation within Vietnam, all tours, all lectures, a welcome cocktail party, most meals, and numerous other curated events and activities.
100% of the proceeds from our travel programs support The Nation’s journalism.