Join The Nation November 3 – 10, 2018 for an exciting new itinerary as we immerse ourselves in the beauty and energy of Havana and the charm and history of Trinidad. We’ll experience the people, politics, and culture of the island during this pivotal period in the country’s history, as it comes to terms with life after Fidel Castro and looks toward a new era and an uncertain relationship with Washington.
We will spend our days meeting professors, artists, historians, activists, restoration specialists, and others. Our evenings will be filled with exclusive concerts by renowned musicians, private showings at artists’ studios, and a performance by students of one of Cuba’s internationally acclaimed dance institutes.
- Travel in the company of Peter Kornbluh, longtime Nation contributor, author of Bay of Pigs Declassified, and organizer of the 40th anniversary conference of the invasion, which took place in Havana and was attended by Fidel Castro and surviving Kennedy White House officials.
- Visit the site of the Bay of Pigs invasion of 1961 and the Bay of Pigs Museum.
- Take a walking tour of Old Havana and marvel at the stunning architecture.
- Learn about housing, infrastructure and restoration programs in Havana during a lecture with urban planner Miguel Coyula.
- Hear from Norma Guillard, a Cuban social psychologist and former brigadista with the 1961 Cuba Literacy Campaign, about Cuba’s efforts to bring literacy to the entire country.
- Wander the cobblestone streets of Trinidad, a UNESCO World Heritage site, with a local expert in restoration, architecture, and history.
- Tour a second UNESCO World Heritage Site, Cienfuegos, and observe stunning French and Spanish architecture during a walking tour. Visit the infamous Bay of Pigs.
- Explore the remarkable Museum of Cuban Art in the company of art historian, Nelson Herrera.
- Settle into your 4 star hotel near the famed Malecón seawall, overlooking the Bay of Havana.
- Enjoy private music and dance performances and engaging lectures at venues throughout Havana and Trinidad.
The all-inclusive cost of this week long tour is $5,455 per person with double occupancy ($370 single supplement), plus round-trip airfare to/from Havana. The program cost includes five nights at a four-star hotel in Havana; two nights at a private guesthouse in Trinidad; all ground transportation within Cuba; guided tours, seminars, and lectures; entrance to Cuba’s preeminent museums and attractions; several private music concerts; dance performances; most meals (including libations); and other captivating activities and events.
100% of the proceeds from our travel programs support The Nation’s journalism.