As the largest democracy in the world, as well as one of the most dynamic economies, India is a land of contrasts. With mesmerizing sites such as the Taj Mahal and the palaces of Jaipur, vibrant markets teeming with colorful spices and dazzling textiles, enormous cities buzzing with innovation and villages that follow a more traditional way of life, India is at the forefront of myriad social, economic, and cultural issues that are being tackled in unique and progressive ways. On this comprehensive 13-day tour, we’ll explore the must-see sites of this truly singular country, as well as immerse ourselves in the complex issues that define this rapidly changing nation.
Join us as we explore Mumbai, Varanasi, Agra, Samode, Jaipur, and Delhi on this breathtaking adventure. Throughout the journey, we’ll meet with journalists, academics, community activities, artists, historians, environmentalists, and many others to learn more about the past, present, and future of the country. Visiting India is often a once-in-a-lifetime experience, so we have very carefully designed our program to maximize your time there—exploring the “must-see” sites while also providing an expertly curated experience that will make you feel less like a tourist and more like a scholar seeking to truly understand this dynamic country. Below are just a few of the highlights of this extraordinary tour.
- Meet with Kavita Srivastava, a leader in one of India’s oldest and largest human-rights organizations.
- Attend the Ganga Aarti, a mesmerizing nightly Hindu ceremony that takes place on the banks of the Ganges in Varanasi, Hinduism’s holiest city.
- Hear from Dr. Govind Singh, an environmental activist and researcher who is working to general environmental awareness and promote sustainable development in India.
- Visit the office of Balaknama, a monthly newspaper for and by street and working children who use the platform to tell their own stories.
- Immerse yourself in the fascinating and complex Dharavi neighborhood in Mumbai. Routinely called the “largest slum in Asia,” the community defies many concepts of poverty.
- See the incomparable Taj Mahal, the Amber Fort in Jaipur, Agra Fort, and many other spectacular sites.
- Discover India’s stunning artisanal traditions, with visits to lively markets and workshops where artisans create intricate textiles, handmade jewelry, and opulent embroidery.
- Participate in a rejuvenating early-morning yoga session, prepare Indian cuisine in a cooking class, and experience a rickshaw ride through bustling bazaars.
These are only a few of the highlights of our in-depth India tour. See the full itinerary to better appreciate what you have to look forward to.
100% of the proceeds from our travel programs support The Nation’s journalism.