As the largest democracy in the world, as well as one of the most dynamic economies, India is a land of contrasts. With mesmerizing sites such as the Taj Mahal and the palaces of Jaipur, vibrant markets teeming with colorful spices and dazzling textiles, enormous cities buzzing with innovation and villages that follow a more traditional way of life, India is at the forefront of myriad social, economic, and cultural issues that are being tackled in unique and progressive ways. On this comprehensive 13-day tour, we’ll explore the must-see sites of this truly singular country, as well as immerse ourselves in the complex issues that define this rapidly changing nation.
Join us as we explore Mumbai, Varanasi, Agra, Samode, Jaipur, and Delhi on this breathtaking adventure. Throughout the journey, we’ll meet with journalists, academics, community activities, artists, historians, environmentalists, and many others to learn more about the past, present, and future of the country. Visiting India is often a once-in-a-lifetime experience, so we have very carefully designed our program to maximize your time there—exploring the “must-see” sites while also providing an expertly curated experience that will make you feel less like a tourist and more like a scholar seeking to truly understand this dynamic country. Below are just a few of the highlights of this extraordinary tour.
- Visit the incomparable Taj Mahal, the Amber Fort in Jaipur, and the Red Fort in Delhi.
- Discover India’s stunning artisanal traditions, with visits to lively markets and workshops where artisans create intricate textiles, Jaipur’s famous turquoise-blue pottery, handmade jewelry, and opulent embroidery.
- Meet with Kavita Srivastava, a leader in one of India’s oldest and largest human-rights organizations, at her home in Samode.
- Immerse yourself in Varanasi, Hinduism’s holiest city that has a spiritual and religious legacy that goes back nearly 3,000 years.
- Learn from former government official and current full-time activist Aruna Roy, known for her efforts to fight corruption and promote government transparency.
- Visit the office of Balaknama, a monthly newspaper for and by street and working children who use the platform to tell their own stories.
- Participate in a rejuvenating early-morning yoga session, prepare Indian cuisine in a cooking class, and experience a rickshaw ride through bustling bazaars.
These are only a few of the highlights of our in-depth India tour. See the full itinerary to better appreciate what you have to look forward to.
The 13-day comprehensive tour costs $7,825 plus $320 for internal airfare (the single supplement is $1,980) and includes hotel accommodations, all transportation within India, all tours, all lectures, a welcome cocktail party, most meals, and numerous other curated events and activities.
100% of the proceeds from our travel programs support The Nation’s journalism.