The Nation, America’s leading source of progressive politics and culture, is seeking a self-directed, detail-oriented and energetic fundraiser to assist in development business operations and donor stewardship.
Reporting to the Director, Direct Response Fundraising, the Development Assistant will assist the development team with the production of donor appeals, cultivation and stewardship materials, processing all donations and gift acknowledgment letters. Other primary responsibilities include updating the donor database and providing a high-level of service to current and prospective donors via mail, telephone and email. This is a full-time exempt position working out of our NYC office.
This is an exciting opportunity to learn about the operations of a 152-year-old reader-supported media company. The ideal candidate is someone looking to pursue a career in fundraising or business operations. Superior interpersonal skills in addition to process skills are important, as well as a demonstrated interest in progressive politics. We seek a fundraiser able to manage the communication stream with our passionate audience of supporters committed to public-minded, independent journalism.
Candidate must have at least 1-2 years of administrative or fundraising experience and prior experience using a donor database (Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce, DonorPerfect, or comparable) is preferred.
- Act as first point of contact for donors and prospective donors with questions about giving to The Nation
- Process all donations in accordance with gift entry guidelines
- Administrate monthly giving program
- Update records in donor database (Raiser’s Edge) in an accurate, consistent and timely manner
- Perform routine data health procedures to ensure clean and complete database
- Process gift acknowledgment letters and implement other donor cultivation and stewardship efforts
- Assist with fundraising campaigns, including coordinating with outside vendors and trafficking information
- Conduct internet research on current and prospective donors
- Prepare donor briefing materials for leadership events and one-on-one meetings
- Track campaign results
- Process invoices to ensure all vendors are paid on time
- Order and mail all premiums and promotional materials to donors
- Cover reception desk and duties as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- At least 1-2 years of experience in administrative or fundraising position
- Strong communication and customer service skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and efficiently, establish priorities, and meet deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience using databases highly desired
- Commitment to The Nation’s mission and interest in progressive politics
The Nation Company LLC is an equal-opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws. E-mail your cover letter, résumé, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or postal mail, please. This position is covered by the collective-bargaining agreement between The Nation and The NewsGuild of N.Y., CWA Local 31003, AFL-CIO.
The Victor S. Navasky Internship Program
For more than three decades, The Nation Institute, in conjunction with The Nation magazine, has provided an internship program for early-career journalists. For more information about the Victor S. Navasky Internship Program, click here.