Advertising Sales Manager
The Nation, America’s leading progressive print and online journal, seeks an Advertising Sales Manager (www.thenation.com). Position will have responsibility for growing print and web advertising revenues and end-to-end responsibility for all phases of the advertising sales process, including direct-to-client and top agency contacts. Manager should develop proactive, innovative and market-driven ad sales initiatives and consistently produce revenue to meet and exceed aggressive targets.
- Reach and exceed advertising revenue targets for The Nation and thenation.com.
- Assist in development and implementation of ad strategy.
- Provide timely, high quality responses to RFPs.
- Help create customized ad products in response to advertiser demand.
- Assist in establishing budgets.
- Attend regular meetings with agencies & marketers to provide expert knowledge of our print and online product offerings and deliver innovative solutions.
- Develop, utilize and monitor sales pipeline and report regularly to supervisor.
- Stay current and active in the evolving advertising market by regularly attending industry events, conferences & networking opportunities.
- Create high-quality sales proposals and collateral materials as needed.
- Work with clients and production team to deliver campaigns that optimize results. Emphasis on revenue maximization and client retention through effective inventory and campaign management.
- Minimum of 4 years of sales experience.
- Must have demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships through strong interpersonal skills.
- Proven success in selling within the print and digital advertising space with established knowledge of and relationships with advertising decision makers.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills. Must be successful at communicating effectively with all levels of management and with colleagues and clients.
- Excellent negotiation and presentation skills a must.
- Self-starter with a drive to succeed.
- Confident personality, good at networking, with a collaborative approach.
- Knowledge of and affinity for progressive community and progressive values.
Position works out of The Nation‘s New York City offices. Congenial workplace offering competitive salary and excellent benefits. The Nation Co. LP is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws.
Send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: email@example.com. No phone calls or postal mail please.
The Nation, the weekly magazine and daily website of politics and culture, seeks a skilled copy editor for a full-time position in our Manhattan office. Applicants must have at least five years’ copyediting experience as well as a deft hand for tweaking or revising sentences in need of repair. The ideal candidate will also be a fast and excellent proofreader, able to function efficiently under deadline pressure and to master a sometimes-byzantine production process. Familiarity with InCopy and experience with content-management systems are extremely useful, as is a strong interest in national and international politics, history, literature, the visual arts, and popular culture. This is a 35-hour-a-week union position, although some flexible hours are required (mainly on Tuesdays). Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits. Congenial office. The Nation Company LLC is an equal-opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws. E-mail your cover letter, résumé, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or postal mail, please.
Assistant or Associate Literary Editor
The Nation, the national weekly magazine of politics and culture, seeks an assistant or associate literary editor for its Books & the Arts section. This full-time position involves a mix of administrative and editorial duties for our print and digital editions: tracking manuscripts, overseeing fact-checking, corresponding with authors and publishers, maintaining the section’s social-media presence, and doing art and photo research; there will also be opportunities for commissioning and editing print reviews. Editorial duties will also include programming thenation.com’s Culture section front and commissioning pieces on popular culture. The position requires conscientiousness, stamina, excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and, most important, imagination. Editorial experience at a print or digital publication and a working familiarity with rigorous fact-checking standards and procedures are essential, as is a grasp of literature, US and global politics, intellectual history, media, music, cinema, visual arts, and popular culture. This is a 35-hour a week, NewsGuild-CWA position. The Nation offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits and is an equal-opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws. Please email a cover letter (with salary requirements), résumé, and three clips to the attention of John Palattella, Literary Editor, at LitSearch@thenation.com.
No phone calls, faxes or postal mail, please.
The Victor S. Navasky Internship Program
For more than three decades, The Nation Institute, in conjunction with The Nation magazine, has provided an internship program for early-career journalists. For more information about the Victor S. Navasky Internship Program, click here.