The Nation, the weekly magazine and website of politics and culture, seeks a Literary Editor. Candidates should have a creative, clear, and compelling vision for the Books & Arts section of the magazine, as well as for literary and cultural coverage online. At least 5 years of experience assigning and editing essays and reviews by a wide range of leading writers is required, and previous experience supervising editors and staff is preferred. Candidates should have a firm grasp of currents in global and US politics, history, contemporary fiction and non-fiction, media, music, art, intellectual debates and popular culture. We are seeking a dynamic editor with a proven track record of commissioning ground-breaking essays and stylish reviews, as well as an editorial portfolio that is diverse and wide-ranging. The position demands excellent editing skills. Applicants must be based in New York City—or willing to relocate or commute daily. The office is small and collegial, and collaborating with other editors is prized.
The Nation Company LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws and regulations. This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement with The NewsGuild of New York.
Please send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Director, Direct Response Fundraising
The Nation, America’s oldest weekly magazine and progressive digital media company, is seeking a full-time seasoned development professional to lead our unique small donor program. This person will have bottom-line responsibility for managing a mature donor program maintained in Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge.
Successful candidate will have the energy and skillset to drive the growth of well-established, one-of-a-kind fundraising program that supports The Nation’s singular mission in progressive journalism. This is a small-donor focused program that relies on direct mail, telemarketing, digital and social media fundraising campaigns.
Position reports to the Associate Publisher and manages 2 staff members and multiple outside vendor relationships (working out of our NYC offices).
The Director will lead our small donor fundraising efforts, working with the Associate Publisher to create strategic initiatives that make best use of the latest industry and technological developments in donor recruitment/retention.
Candidate must have 7+ years of fundraising management experience and state-of-the-art knowledge of small donor direct response fundraising techniques.
Responsibilities include management of small donor fundraising department: strategy (working with Associate Publisher and Large Donor Director), budgeting, staff management, revenue growth, messaging, channel management (direct mail, digital and social, telemarketing) reporting and analysis, vendor and database management, and special projects.
- Plan, develop, execute, and evaluate all annual direct response fundraising programs focused on small donor recruitment, renewal, and upgrading donors to Major Gift level.
- Manage development and implementation of direct mail, digital, retention and telemarketing efforts in multiple annual campaigns
- Recruit, hire and manage proven fundraising copywriters and designers
- Design reports and analyze results of all promotions and implement sophisticated testing to increase effectiveness of all efforts
- Direct management of Raiser’s Edge database usage to ensure integrity and accuracy of information
- Reconcile donations and expenses monthly with [Associate Publisher and] accounting department
- Build strong renewal growth via direct mail, telemarketing and digital channels and develop a robust monthly giving program
- Collaborate with other departments (business and editorial) to ensure continuity of messaging/mission
- Facilitate fundraising copywriting with outside writers and in-house staff.
- Identify and implement new digital fundraising approaches to grow online donations
- Ensure excellent donor cultivation with prompt communication and speedy resolution of any problems
- Build meaningful online and offline community programs that bring together our supporters with our mission
- Commitment to and passion for The Nation’s mission and for progressive politics
- Strong staff management skills and ability to mentor, lead, motivate, inspire and manage performance of an autonomous department
- Experience managing relationships and project deliverables that include integrations with third-party vendors or business partners
- Discipline to keep budgets, documentation, and scheduling up-to-date for entire department and all its activities
- Requires exceptional communication skills (verbal and written). Effectively communicate concepts to both internal and external business and editorial stakeholders
- Proven ability to negotiate with multiple stakeholders and build consensus
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to establish and maintain proper priority for all department tasks at all times
- Possess an ongoing interest and willingness to learn new technologies, techniques and practices
- Highly detail-oriented and organized
- Ability to personally connect with donors and to communicate mission with intelligence, enthusiasm and passion.
- Well-connected to the fundraising community and on top of industry trends, challenges and opportunities
- 7+ years of successful direct response fundraising experience, including digital
- 2+ years of department management experience with bottom line responsibility
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent required
- Strong Knowledge of and experience with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge.
The Nation Co. LP is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
Email cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: DirFundJob@thenation.com. No phone calls or recruiters, please.
The Victor S. Navasky Internship Program
For more than three decades, The Nation Institute, in conjunction with The Nation magazine, has provided an internship program for early-career journalists. For more information about the Victor S. Navasky Internship Program, click here.