Director, Leadership Giving
The Nation, America's oldest weekly magazine and progressive digital media company, is seeking an experienced development professional to run our large donor fundraising. The Leadership Giving Director will have bottom-line responsibility for managing and growing a large gift donor base of 150+ individuals at the $5000+ level. Successful candidate will have proven track record of recruiting, renewing, and increasing large donor commitments, preferably in the public media or political campaign sector (though other experience will be considered).
The Nation will celebrate its 150th Anniversary in 2015 – the next 18+ months present a unique opportunity to secure funding that supports our singular mission in progressive journalism and creates a strong foundation for the coming decades.
The position reports to the President and manages a small support staff (1-2 FTEs). This is a full-time exempt position working out of our downtown NYC offices; some telecommuting will be considered for the right candidate.
The Director will lead our large donor fundraising efforts, working with the President and the Editor/Publisher to craft strategic initiatives and a compelling case for giving that reflects The Nation's history and mission. We're looking for an entrepreneurial, personable, and creative thinker with a passion for progressive values and a demonstrated interest in politics and culture. We seek a leader able to connect our timely mission with our passionate audience to build a donor base truly committed to public-minded, independent journalism.
Candidate must have 7+ years of successful fundraising management experience with a focus on gifts of $1000 and above and demonstrated success at securing individual donations of $50,000+.
Responsibilities include maintaining relationships with current large donors, recruiting new donors, building planned giving program, and developing plan for large donor fundraising events centered on our 150th anniversary as well as budgeting and strategic planning.
- Create, develop, and execute strategy to grow large donor program, setting and meeting annual goals
- Conduct face-to-face meetings with supporters to build strong mutual relationships, including monthly travel as needed
- Research and identify new leadership gift prospects
- Create detailed cultivation and solicitation plans for the top 50 donor prospects annually
- Plan and organize events for high-level donors to showcase Nation writers, Nation content, and The Nation's mission
- Build compelling case for giving for high donors centered around the 150th anniversary
- Annual budgeting and reforecasting; monthly revenue and expense reviews
- Create best-practices planned giving options and secure legacy commitments from large donors
- Collaborate with other departments (business and editorial) to ensure continuity of messaging/mission
- Write compelling donor solicitations and follow-up materials as needed
- Ensure excellent customer service and VIP treatment for all large donors with prompt communication and speedy resolution of any issues
- Track and record all research, plans and interactions with major donors
- Other related duties as assigned
- Commitment to and passion for The Nation's mission and for progressive politics, including thorough understanding of The Nation's history and values.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate, lead, motivate, inspire and manage performance of an autonomous department
- Requires exceptional communication skills (verbal and written). Effectively communicate to both internal and external business and editorial stakeholders
- Proven ability to cultivate and close major and deferred gift commitments
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to prioritize
- Highly detail-oriented, energetic, and organized
- Ability to personally connect with donors and to communicate mission with intelligence, enthusiasm and passion.
- Immersed in the fundraising community and on top of industry trends, challenges and opportunities
- Ability to relate to progressive audiences, tell compelling stories and persuade others
- 7+ years of successful large donor fundraising experience
- 2+ years of department management experience with bottom line responsibility
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent required
- Knowledge of and experience with Raisers Edge/Blackbaud or equivalent program
Please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements no later than June 25, 2014 to: email@example.com
No phone calls, recruiters or postal mail, please.