The Nation, the national political weekly and website, seeks an Associate Editor with vision, excellent editing skills and at least three years of experience either in print or online. Ideal candidate will have broad familiarity with politics and with the progressive community and media. This position requires strong administrative skills, the ability to generate story ideas and to work well under tight deadline pressure. Located in our downtown New York City offices, the position offers excellent benefits and a congenial work atmosphere. The Nation Co. LP is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
E-mail resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No calls please.
Director, Direct Response Fundraising
The Nation, America's oldest weekly magazine and progressive digital media company, is seeking a full-time seasoned development professional to lead our unique small donor program. This person will have bottom-line responsibility for managing a mature donor program maintained in Raiser's Edge/Blackbaud. Successful candidate will have the energy and skillset to drive the growth of well-established, one-of-a-kind fundraising program that supports The Nation's singular mission in progressive journalism. This is a small-donor focused program that relies on direct mail, telemarketing, digital and social media fundraising campaigns and this position will not be responsible for large gifts, grants, large donor events, or planned giving.
Position reports to the Associate Publisher and manages 1- 2 staff members and multiple outside vendor relationships (full-time exempt position working out of our downtown NYC offices).
The Director will lead our small donor fundraising efforts, working with the Associate Publisher to create strategic initiatives that make best use of the latest industry and technological developments in donor recruitment/retention. We're looking for an entrepreneurial, creative thinker to reinvigorate a program that has been challenged during the recession yet remains vital and full of opportunity, with a timely mission and passionate audience.
Candidate must have 7+ years of fundraising management experience and state-of-the-art knowledge of small donor direct response fundraising techniques.
Responsibilities include management of small donor fundraising department: strategy (working with Associate publisher and Large Donor Director), budgeting, staff management, revenue growth, messaging, channel management (direct mail, telemarketing, digital and social) reporting and analysis, vendor and database management, and special projects.
- Plan, develop, execute, and evaluate all annual direct response fundraising programs focused on small donor recruitment, renewal, and growth
- Manage development and implementation of direct mail, telemarketing, and digital cold efforts in multiple annual campaigns
- Recruit, hire and manage proven fundraising copywriters and designers
- Design reports and analyze results of all promotions and implement sophisticated testing to increase effectiveness of all efforts
- Supervise Raiser's Edge database usage to ensure integrity and accuracy of information
- Reconcile donations and expenses monthly with accounting department
- Build strong renewal growth via direct mail, telemarketing and digital channels and develop monthly giving program
- Collaborate with other departments (business and editorial) to ensure continuity of messaging/mission
- Write compelling fundraising copy as needed
- Identify and implement new media approaches to grow online donations
- Ensure excellent customer service to all donors with prompt communication and speedy resolution of any problems
- Build meaningful online and offline community programs that bring together our supporters with our mission
- Commitment to and passion for The Nation's mission and for progressive politics
- Strong staff management skills and ability to mentor, lead, motivate, inspire and manage performance of an autonomous department
- Experience managing relationships and project deliverables that include integrations with third-party vendors or business partners
- Discipline to keep budgets, documentation, and scheduling up-to-date for entire department and all its activities
- Requires exceptional communication skills (verbal and written).
- Effectively communicate concepts to both internal and external business and editorial stakeholders
- Proven ability to negotiate with multiple stakeholders and build consensus
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to establish and maintain proper priority for all department tasks at all times
- Possess an ongoing interest and willingness to learn new technologies, techniques and practices
- Highly detail-oriented and organized
- Ability to personally connect with donors and to communicate mission with intelligence, enthusiasm and passion.
- Well-connected to the fundraising community and on top of industry trends, challenges and opportunities
- 7+ years of successful direct response fundraising experience, including digital
- 2+ years of department management experience with bottom line responsibility
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent required
- Strong Knowledge of and experience with Raisers Edge/Blackbaud or equivalent program
Competitive salary and excellent benefits: The Nation is an equal opportunity employer. People of color and minorities strongly encouraged to apply. Email cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: DirFund@thenation.com. No calls please.
The Nation magazine seeks a highly organized, intelligent and resourceful Administrative Assistant to provide administrative support to a senior executive with an exceptionally demanding schedule. Duties include reviewing and handling correspondence and phone calls, screening calls and emails, preparing for meetings and conferences, conducting internet research, maintaining files and other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Background in publishing or a related communications field
- Three + years experience working for executive staff
- A college degree or equivalent in work experience
- A calm and professional demeanor
- Works well under deadline pressure
- Good judgment, humor and maturity
- Ability to work independently and to meet deadlines
- Thorough knowledge of the internet and the ability to do internet research
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and other basic computer programs
- A strong interest in current events and progressive politics
Salary will be based on experience. The Nation offers an excellent benefits package and an opportunity to work in an intellectually challenging environment.
The Nation is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities and persons of color strongly encouraged to apply. Email cover letter, resume and salary requirements to AdminAssist@thenation.com. No phone calls please.