Human Resources Manager
The Nation Company L.P. seeks an experienced part time Human Resources Manager (3 days/week). We are America's oldest weekly magazine, a progressive political and cultural journal founded in 1865, with a companion 24/7 website. We are looking for an experienced HR generalist who has a proven track record of working effectively with a union shop. With approximately 40 employees, most of the staff is covered under a collective bargaining agreement with the Newspaper Guild of New York (the current contract runs through 2015). The successful candidate will possess progressive political sensibilities and be able to effectively manage our unique partnership with our valued employees. We offer a competitive compensation package including non-contributory healthcare coverage and can offer flexible work arrangements. Position is located in our New York City offices. For more information on The Nation, please visit our website: www.thenation.com
- Serve as management liaison with the Newspaper Guild and handle personnel issues brought by shop stewards
- Insure compliance with the collective bargaining agreement
- Keep abreast of employment law/maintain relationship with labor lawyer
- Manage personnel paperwork/filing/required notices/performance evaluations
- First line resource for managers raising personnel issues (raises, vacations, job performance, leaves of absence telecommuting, ADA accommodations)
- Process Payroll (via ADP) and sales commissions under the direction of the Controller
- Supervise vacation tracking
- Evaluate staffing needs and make recommendations to President
- Assist department managers with hiring outreach and final candidate evaluation
- Supervise employee benefit contracts and administration including staff presentations for medical/dental/FSA/HRA/life/disability/transit checks
- Assist employees with benefits-related questions and claims issues
- FSA/HRA discrimination testing – provide data to Wageworks and confirm testing with help of Finance Director*
- Function as 401k Administrator/Fiduciary/lead 401k Investment Committee (annual meeting) /401k yearend compliance/5500 filing under direction of Finance Director*
- Work with the president to assist during Newspaper Guild contract negotiations
- Manage staff development and training
- Other responsibilities as designated by the President and/or Controller
*Experience in these areas not required; we will train the right candidate
Knowledge, Skills — Abilities:
- Bachelor's Degree in related field and 5+ years of experience
- Advanced knowledge of human resources best practices and ability to effectively handle personnel issues, investigations and internal mediations
- Solid understanding of applicable Federal, State and local employment laws
- Knowledge of performance management, recruitment, organizational design and HR compliance
- Basic knowledge and understanding of benefits administration, retirement plan administration and payroll processing, or the ability and aptitude to learn these functions quickly
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively independently with little direction as well as within a team
- Ability to take one's own initiative and be a self starter
- Ability to display appropriate sense of urgency in response to time sensitive matters
Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: email@example.com. Please indicate HR Manager in your subject line. ONLY QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED. NO PHONE CALLS OR AGENCIES PLEASE.
The Nation is an equal-opportunity employer. Minorities and people of color strongly encouraged to apply.
The Nation magazine, the oldest continuously published weekly magazine in the U.S., seeks a full-time, self-motivated, problem-solving production coordinator with strong organizational and interpersonal skills. This position will assist in the management of all aspects of the weekly print and online production process, act as liaison between all internal departments; coordinate and collaborate with editors to produce weekly magazine layouts; communicate with editors for changes, conflicts, deadlines and quality expectations. Responsibilities include ad trafficking, page layout, typesetting, some web production, photo research and color correction. The right candidate should have editorial experience to join our motivated, engaged team.
The ideal candidate should have:
- 3+ years in editorial design -- weekly publishing experience a strong plus
- Expertise in Adobe InDesign
- Experience with K4 preferred
- Experience with MagPlus
- Strong proficiency/expertise in Photoshop & Illustrator
- Fluency in HTML & CSS
- Print experience strongly preferred
- Ability to work quickly
- Ability to juggle multiple projects
- Attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Background in journalism a plus.
- Some experience with Desktop Support in a Mixed Macintosh (85%) Windows (15%) networked environment (assisting/in support of the Technology Manager).
- Experience troubleshooting basic issues with printers and copiers.
- Willingness to learn and gain more experience in this area.
Competitive salary and excellent benefits. The Nation is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities and persons of color strongly encouraged to apply. Email cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
No calls or recruiters please.
The Nation magazine seeks a full-time Creative Director to work out of our Manhattan office. We’re looking for a talented, editorially-focused design professional to work closely with our editors and writers to conceptualize ideas and bring them to life visually in the pages of our weekly print magazine and our 24/7 website. We seek a creative professional adept at creating clear, powerful visual explanations for complex political and cultural issues. Candidate must possess a keen news sense and an understanding of contemporary progressive politics grounded in a solid historical perspective.
We need a visual leader able to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven news environment and to collaborate with in-house editors as well as freelance and staff writers. The ideal candidate should have a strong design portfolio, as well as access to a strong network of illustrators, photographers and graphic artists whom they can call upon to visualize our ideas, arguments, reporting and stories. Candidates should also have a good eye for photography, ability to edit photos and do photo research.
• Successfully launch and integrate newly re-designed print magazine templates and design elements in late Q1 2013
• Design compelling weekly print magazine covers in-house or with outside illustrators that engage and inspire subscribers and enhance newsstand sales.
• Lead iterative design upgrades at TheNation.com that complement the print magazine; supervise visuals of web redesign during CMS changes/upgrades.
• Work with writers and editors from article assignment through press date to develop multiple ways to enhance pieces with compelling visuals.
• Create illustrations, data visualizations and art elements, as well as commission these elements from a stable of affordable freelancers.
• Ability to thrive under deadline pressure while maintaining a fast-paced production schedule.
• Photo/Art research, editing and image manipulation skills in a news setting.
• Work collaboratively with both editorial and business departments to implement and maintain consistent visual identity and design quality across all print and digital platforms
•Work with the Vice President of Production to prepare files for transmission to printer and various digital vendors.
•Design page layouts in a creative way within our established formats and incorporate editors changes/corrections accurately
•Keep on top on industry design and typography trends, specifically as they relate to user interface issues with digital products.
•Work with business departments to oversee design of ancillary products such as house ads, brochures, digital ads and other marketing materials
The ideal candidate must have a demonstrated ability to create compelling magazine layouts, on a tight budget and a tight schedule, with a sense of style, accessibility, and readability for a sophisticated and passionate audience of long-term subscribers as well as the ability to attract a new readership through the visual enhancement of our established editorial products.
Must be able to create consistent, quality work on deadline with strong attention to detail. Good organizational skills and professional attitude essential. Position reports to Vice President of Production with dotted line to Publisher and Senior Editors; works on a daily basis with editorial team.
• Experience with Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat in a PDF-based, deadline-oriented i.e. (daily/weekly/monthly) Mac-based, production environment.
• Some experience with InCopy.
• Experience using Adobe InDesign and InCopy in a K4-managed publishing environment.
• Proficient in use of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator to repurpose art and illustration between print and web. Fluent in web-based standards for art/photo/graphics.
• Proficient in use and management of Fonts, Font Sets, Suitcases and Font management software.
• Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite for repurposing content for Adobe InDesign and print production,
Looking for a professional who stays on top of industry trends in technology solutions and is ready to assist team in adaptation of new technologies. 4 year graphic arts degree or equivalent required. Strong portfolio demonstrating excellent editorial design sense essential. Candidate should have two to four years experience or equivalent in newspaper or magazine design. Web design experience and basic knowledge of CMSs for content-focused news site very helpful. Competitive salary and excellent benefits. The Nation is an equal opportunity employer. People of color and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. Email cover letter, rèsumè and salary requirement to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Freelance Copywriters Wanted
The Nation magazine, a weekly liberal journal of politics and culture (and 24/7 website: www.thenation.com), is looking for experienced, passionate, and progressive freelance copywriters with successful track records in fundraising for unique causes. Our 40+ year old small donor program, formerly The Nation Associates and now known as Nation Builders, consists of the 20%+ of our subscribers who donate money above and beyond the cost of their subscriptions to support our journalism and to further the advancement of progressive values. We're looking for writers who can help us introduce the program to new Nation readers (and deepen the engagement of current donors) through activist-oriented copy that captures the importance of our reporting and the necessity of supporting independent media. Proven record in producing successful direct mail, email, print/web ads, and social media campaigns essential. If you are a talented fundraiser-copywriter and a passionate progressive looking to work on a project-to-project basis at affordable rates, please contact us, with samples of your work, at email@example.com.
Freelance Graphic Designers Wanted
The Nation magazine, a weekly liberal journal of politics and culture (and 24/7 website: www.thenation.com) is seeking talented FREELANCE graphic designers to bring our fundraising and marketing copy to life. We're looking for people who share our progressive values and have experience in print and digital design, specifically direct mail, email, web ads, and newsletters with a fundraising focus. We seek artists with a clear, functional aesthetic who can employ our new palette, logo, and design elements consistently to introduce our Nation Builders donor program to print and digital readers and generate successful fundraising and marketing appeals. If you are a freelance graphic designer with affordable rates and a passion for progressive politics who is looking to make a difference please contact us, with portfolio samples, at firstname.lastname@example.org.