The Nation magazine is seeking an Assistant Editor for News
The Nation is hiring an assistant editor for breaking news. You should be a digital-native news junkie with an appetite for writing fast and frequently—without compromising accuracy or voice. You will be creating 2-3 articles per day on subjects of interest to the progressive community. You should be able to do that in a variety of formats: through text, images, video, Storify, breaking news blogging and more. You will work closely with a team of six other digital editors in a live news environment to make TheNation.com an essential source for progressive news and opinion. You should bring a competitive approach to your writing and a collaborative approach to your colleagues.
This job is based in our New York City office; telecommuting is not an option. The Nation provides a generous compensation package in accordance with its Collective Bargaining Agreement with The Newspaper Guild of New York.
- Write, produce and promote 2-3 news articles per day for TheNation.com
- Follow the news cycle and develop story ideas, for yourself and for our regular writers and freelancers
- Report out promising leads and develop them into breaking news stories
- With digital editorial team, optimize articles for impact and reach, including through headlining, image selection and more
- With engagement editor, develop our audience through social media, email and more
- Assist with curating the homepage
- Other editorial duties as assigned
- Excellent reporting, writing and editing skills, with an emphasis on writing quickly, accurately, and with voice
- Terrific news judgment and an instinctive sense for what content will connect with our audience
- Comfort using content management systems and HTML and PhotoShop skills
- Commitment to The Nation’s mission and progressive politics
- Established social media presence
- At least 2 years of experience working in a fast-paced news environment
Send resume and cover letter with links to 3 published clips to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
The Nation Co. LP is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
The Victor S. Navasky Internship Program
For more than three decades, The Nation Institute, in conjunction with The Nation magazine, has provided an internship program for early-career journalists. For more information about the Victor S. Navasky Internship Program, click here.