Mexico City: Politics, Culture and Day of the Dead
Experience Day of the Dead festivities
Join us in one of the world’s most dynamic cities, Mexico City. We will visit during the annual Day of the Dead festivities and experience the incredible sites, sounds and special events surrounding this colorful and important Mexican tradition.
Filled with world-class museums, stunning modernist architecture, delicious food, and art-filled spaces, the city has enjoyed a renaissance in recent years. With a reformist president in the middle of his single six-year term (Andrés Manuel López Obrador, popularly known as AMLO), it’s a time of important change in the country.
On this five-night program we will immerse ourselves in the culture of this spectacular city while also delving into the political and social issues that have shaped Mexico. We’ll meet with individuals working to improve conditions for the disenfranchised and those who can provide an insider’s perspective on the challenges and struggles that many of us have only seen reported through a US-centric lens.
Questions? Contact us via the form at the bottom of this page or call us at 212-209-5401.
- Immerse yourself in the colorful events surrounding Day of the Dead, an important Mexican tradition.
- Meet with staff at the Miguel Agustin Pro Juarez Centre for Human Rights, a non-profit civil association working to promote structural change for indigenous people, women, migrants and victims of social repression within the judicial system.
- Attend a panel discussion about current issues with journalists Liliana Frankel and Nicolás Medina Mora, and lawyer and political analyst Estefanía Veloz.
- Visit the stunning Museo Nacional de Antropologia and see world-famous pieces from Mexico’s pre-Hispanic period
- Take a walking tour to see some of Mexico City’s unique street art.
- Wander amongst the incredible ruins of Teotihuacán, one of the largest and most important archaeological sites in Mexico.
- Enjoy a post-tour extension to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Oaxaca (Nov 5 – 7).
Questions? Contact us via the form at the bottom of this page or call us at 212-209-5401100% of the proceeds from our travel programs support The Nation’s journalism.
The Nation purchases carbon offsets to cover the emissions generated by our travel program in order to help mitigate effects on the climate.