Historic Jordan and the Future of Palestine and Syria
Delve into the critical issues facing Jordan, and its neighbors Israel, Palestine and Syria.
Jordan’s location at the nexus of Asia, Africa and Europe has helped shape this young country’s culture and society and placed it squarely in the middle of regional geopolitics.
Long considered a safe haven in a tumultuous region, on this tour we’ll delve into the critical issues facing Jordan, and its neighbors Israel, Palestine and Syria. Throughout the tour we will meet with people who are actively working to address some of the issues facing Jordan. We’ll have exclusive lectures and discussions, travel to ancient sites and immerse ourselves in the country’s dramatic natural landscape and vibrant communities.
See the full itinerary
- Learn more about the long-standing Israeli-Palestinian conflict in discussions with Palestinians from the West Bank and refugees living in Jordan.
- Meet with representatives of the United Nations Relief Works Agency to gain insight into the history of the Jerash refugee camp and a learn about the Palestine diaspora.
- Experience Petra, one of the most exquisite sites of the ancient world.
- Float in the waters of the Dead Sea and enjoy the healing properties of the sea’s mud during a relaxing afternoon.
- Visit a Bedouin community to learn about their culture and history and spend the evening under the stars at a luxurious camp in Wadi Rum in the “Valley of the Moon.”
- Explore sites such as Jerash and the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Bethany.
- Hear about Syrian refugees in Jordan during a discussion with staff from the Near East Foundation, the longest standing organization serving refugees in the region.
- Participate in a discussion with a representative of Human Rights Watch about priority issues in the country including: freedom of expression, limitations on NGO operations, refugee rights, and citizenship restrictions.