Few places rival Greece as a destination of great beauty and culture amid the historic landmarks of western civilization. Yet Greece’s complexity today challenges those working for justice and shared prosperity. We’ll strive to understand this dynamic country and meet with individuals working to chart a different course forward.
Explore Athens, Hydra and ancient sites in the Peloponnese as we learn about the political, intellectual and creative achievements of this remarkable country. Meet with Nation contributor Maria Margaronis in Athens, and hear from other experts throughout the program to gain a better understanding of the issues and obstacles impacting Greece today, while immersing yourself in the wonders of the ancient world.
- Meet with Professor Dimitris Christopoulos from the Dept of Political Science and History at Penteion University and President of the International Federation for Human Rights, who will address some of the most significant challenges currently facing Greece including the refugee crisis and the country’s relationship with the EU.
- Take part in a discussion about the refugee crisis with Lefteris Papagiannakis, Athens’ vice-mayor on Migrant and Refugee Affairs.
- Immerse yourself in Athens’ vibrant Street Art scene on a walking tour with a local artist to learn how the city has become knowns as the mecca for underground street art and meet with and photographer Eirini Vourloumis,
- Explore Nemea, one of the four city-states that held athletic games in ancient times, with Professor Stephen Miller, who directed the Nemea excavations between 1971-2004. (Pending Availability)
- Gain a better understanding of the state of Greece’s economy and the impact of austerity measures from a leading expert and learn about the innovative ways people are fighting back and creating new economic opportunities.
- Visit spectacular sites such as the Acropolis, the Agora, Corinth, Epidaurus, the Acropolis of Mycenae, and more.
- Participate in unique culinary experience and learn how to cook traditional Greek dishes with the help of a local chef. Visit a bucolic vineyard and family owned olive oil producer.
- See the itinerary for complete details about the many exclusive meetings and extraordinary sites we will visit on this tour.
100% of the proceeds from our travel programs support The Nation’s journalism.