Discover the real meaning of “farm to table” on our inaugural journey through California. From the precious waters of the Delta, through the fields where Cesar Chavez fought for farm workers, to Steinbeck’s storied valleys and the urban farming innovations of Los Angeles, we’ll explore the politics, culture and environmental impact of the food we eat.
Joining you throughout the tour is Mark Arax, an award-winning author whose books on California have been compared to the “great social portraits” by William Saroyan and Joan Didion, and to the work of his hero Carey McWilliams. His most recent book is “The Dreamt Land,” an evocative and incisive look at the history of agriculture in California and the people who transformed the state.
Highlights of the tour include:
- Hear from journalist Kate Cimini who covers labor issues in California and learn about the effect of the recent Supreme Court ruling limiting union access to farm workers
- Visit Apricot Lane Farms, whose inspiring story is beautifully told in the 2018 award-winning documentary The Biggest Little Farm.
- Look at food justice issues at Community Services Unlimited, which runs an urban farm and is committed to helping communities address the inequalities and systemic barriers that make healthy, sustainable food less available.
- Visit Grassroots nursery, a state of the art minority-owned cannabis nursery operating at a wholesale level.
- Meet with Susana De Anda, Co- Founder and Executive Director of the Community Water Center, a nonprofit environmental justice organization supporting community-driven water solutions through organizing, education, and advocacy.
- Visit small family-owned organic farms to sample artisan cheeses and heirloom berries, and learn about the massive power of “big ag” in the state.
See the itinerary for complete details about this rich and in-depth program.
On tour we will follow strict Covid-19 safety protocols and will require vaccination for all of our tour participants and staff. We continue to offer flexible cancellation terms – travelers on this tour can cancel for any reason and receive a 100% refund up to 60 days prior to departure.
100% of the proceeds from our travel programs support The Nation’s journalism.