The Nation Company, L.P. and its affiliated organizations and individuals (which may be collectively referred to herein as, among other things, "we," "us" and "our") are committed to maintaining the privacy of your personal information. The following policy explains our information collection practices, privacy policies, and the choices available to you with regard to how your information is collected and utilized.
The Information We Collect
- Personal information you provide to us, including, but not limited to your name, age, address, e-mail address, credit card number and facts about your background, profession, and similar information.
- Information regarding your interaction with our sites, including, but not limited to, your IP address, device type, geographic location information, computer and connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from our sites, and web log information.
- Information you provide to us through community discussions, member information pages, e-mails, chats, dispute resolution, or information you share with us through other social applications or websites.
How We Use the Information We Collect
- For the purposes for which you specifically provided the information including, for example, to enable us to process, validate and verify subscriptions.
- To send you e-mail notifications about our products and services, special offers, or to otherwise contact you.
- To enhance existing features or develop new features, products and services.
- To provide aggregate anonymous information to our advertisers to help them better understand our services and to monitor the reach of their advertising on the Sites.
- To allow us to personalize the content and advertising that you and others see based on personal characteristics or preferences.
- In the event of a sale, merger, bankruptcy, or other change in control of TheNation.com, your information may be shared with the person or business that owns or controls this site. Opting out of receiving information from third parties will not affect our right to transfer your information to a new owner.
- If required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to conform to the edicts of the law or comply with a judicial proceeding, court order or legal process served on TheNation.com or to protect and defend the rights or property of TheNation.com.
Preserving the Privacy of Your Information
We endeavor to safeguard and protect your personal information. When you submit personal information on our Sites, such information is protected both online and offline. Only employees and supervisors with specific authorization have access to databases containing visitors' personal information. The databases are protected in a secure facility and credit card information is transmitted via encrypted technology.
Email Addresses: We will not share your e-mail address with third parties, although we reserve the right to present you with advertisements on their behalf.
Subscription Lists: In accordance with standard industry practice, we may rent, exchange or sell to third parties mailing address information you provide us when ordering a subscription to our print publication, The Nation. We adhere strictly to the Direct Marketing Association's Ethical Business Practices. For information about these practices, visit the Direct Marketing Association's site at http://www.dmaresponsibility.org/.
Agents: We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include fulfilling orders, delivering packages, sending postal mail and e-mail, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, processing credit card payments, and providing customer service. They have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but are contractually prohibited from using it for other purposes.
Major Business Transactions: In the event of a major business transaction, our customer information may be one of the transferred business assets.
Links: Our Sites may contain links to other sites whose privacy practices may differ from ours. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such sites.
Order Forms: Our sites may use an order form for customers to subscribe to a publication or other services or to purchase certain items. We may collect visitor's contact information (like their postal and e-mail addresses). Contact information from the order form is used to send orders to our customers, or to send e-mail newsletters that they have requested. Users may opt-out of receiving future mailings; see the Opt-Out section below.
Public Forums: Our Sites may make chat rooms, forums, message boards, and/or news groups available to their users. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and that information can be collected and used by others besides The Nation Company and its affiliates. We cannot be responsible for any unauthorized third party’s use of information that you disclose online.
Children's Privacy Statement
Our sites are intended for adults and are not intended for children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13 and therefore do not knowingly distribute such information to third parties. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received personally identifiable information from a user under the age of 13, we will delete such information from our records.
California Privacy Rights
California law provides that we are required to disclose to our California customers, upon request, the identity of any third parties to whom we have disclosed personal information within the previous calendar year, along with the type of personal information disclosed, for the third parties' direct marketing purposes.
If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please submit your request in writing to: Teresa Stack, The Nation, 33 Irving Place, 8th Floor, New York, NY 10003.
Collection of Information by Third-Party Sites and Sponsors
Correct/Update Your Information
Our sites give users the following options for changing and modifying information previously provided. To correct information you provided previously, click here to see the Nation Email Subscription services page. For changes, including renewals and address changes, to your subscription to our print publication, The Nation, visit the subscription services page.
Changes to this Statement
Opting Out and Contacting Us
To opt-out of any promotional e-mail, based on information you provided to us through one of our sites, fill out this form.
Last updated November, 2012