News and Features
The move to a common currency masks a struggle over the social shape of Europe.
Scapegoating immigrants may be a transatlantic and pan-European phenomenon, but need Paris pander to those who want the tricolor to be monochrome?
Who would have guessed a few years ago that Italy's Communists, converted or otherwise, would win control of their country's government with the blessing of the U.S.
Russia's June 16 ballot is not simply the rematch of communism vs. capitalism.
Trotsky is both the hero of the Russian Revolution--the mastermind of October, the founder of the Red Army--and also its Job, hounded across a "planet without a visa," his family exterminated, hi
François Mitterrand badly wanted to leave a mark, an imprint.
"It's not a revolt, Sire, or a revolution; it's the beginning of the end of the reign of big business, of capital, over the minds of the people," a courtier might have told Jacques Chirac if, lik
Haitians call secondhand clothes pèpè, pronounced "peh-peh." In an earlier time these were called Twoomann and Kenedi because it was under those US Presidents
For once the news from France's racist front is optimistic. At least the worst will not happen.
Research support provided by the Investigative Fund of The Nation Institute.
- Rahm Emanuel's Zombie Pigs vs. Chicago's Angry Birds
- Letter to 'The Nation' From a Young Radical
- The Secret Donors Behind the Center for American Progress and Other Think Tanks [Updated on 5/24]
- Why Prosecuting Ariel Castro for Murder Won’t Prevent Violence Against Pregnant Women
- How America Became a Third World Country