Nation Topics - Urban Issues
News and Features
The New York City mayoral candidate talks labor issues, climate change, the NYPD and the legacy of A-Rod.
The citizens of one of our largest cities are being shut out of the decisions that will affect their future.
A resurgent protest culture fights back against Rahm Emanuel’s austerity agenda.
As last year’s occupations showed, cities need more places the public can call its own.
Residents in four New York City districts had the chance to allocate funding for community improvement themselves. Can participatory budgeting make American democracy less lonely?
Unelected individuals are taking control of whole cities and school districts, from Flint to Benton Harbor to Detroit.
A progressive labor slate has won a historic legislative victory, overturning the traditional Democratic machine.
John Lindsay’s New York—and what it can teach us about neglected urban problems.
The Complete Streets movement is helping city residents reimagine their roads.
The Obama-Boehner budget's ban on abortion funding for DC is a stark reminder that district residents still aren't treated as equals in American democracy.
- New ACLU Cellphone App Automatically Preserves Video of Police Encounters
- How the Senate Armed Services Committee Is Undermining Minsk II
- Stephen Cohen: We’re Living Through a Geopolitical Transition
- 6 Degrees of Separation Between Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton
- 6 Scholars Who Are ‘Reimagining Black Politics’