News and Features
Tennessee is arresting new mothers for having used drugs in pregnancy—but in a cruel Catch-22, many can’t get the treatment they need.
Polls show strong support for an initiative there. And it’s on the ballot in Oregon and Alaska, too.
The petrochemical industry is devastating the state, but no candidates dare take it on.
The Newtown tragedy was supposed to change everything about gun politics. Why it didn’t—and how reformers might still win.
Under the direction of Andrew Cuomo, the party has spent a small fortune supporting my opponent’s campaign.
US attorney Preet Bharara has warned the governor that he could be investigated for obstruction of justice.
The state’s rightward lurch mobilized thousands, but the progressive movement behind Moral Mondays has deep, enduring roots.
After beating his Tea Party opponent, establishment conservative Thad Cochran should remember how hard African-Americans fought for the right to vote in the state.
If we can do it in North Carolina, don’t tell me we can’t do it across America.
The California governor wants to be known as a climate leader. But he has said yes to fracking—for now.
- Why Is No One Talking About the NYPD Shooter’s Other Target?
- After Cuba, Obama Can Make History by Recognizing Palestine
- The CIA Didn’t Just Torture, It Experimented on Human Beings
- The Day the Troops Refused to Fight: December 25, 1914
- Zephyr Teachout, Hands Up United and John Oliver Made Our 2014 Progressive Honor Roll. Who Else Made the List?
Facebook Like Box