News and Features
The crime of the century.
The Bloomberg administration accuses a judge of bias for her rulings against the NYPD. But more judges should consider the human implications of police policies.
Obama sounds the notes of racial justice at key moments, while asserting unprecedented power to implement policies that are destructive, discriminatory—and embodied by the NYPD commissioner.
DC autonomy is now more likely than ever, and with it will come the lifting of a ban on Medicaid coverage of abortion for local women.
Mitch Daniels’s covert war on Howard Zinn’s A People’s History of the United States.
What if your country begins to change and no one notices?
The death of Billy “Guero” Sell will not be the last, warn advocates for prisoners refusing to eat or work.
Ethan Saylor died because police responded with rapid and unnecessary force to his disability. I worry, not only for my son with Down Syndrome, but for all others who face similar tactics.
How George Zimmerman’s lawyers exploited racist stereotypes to justify the fear—and killing—of black men.
Women who care for poor kids are often mothers living in poverty themselves.
- The Coming ‘Instant Planetary Emergency’
- The Progressive Honor Roll of 2013
- Jonathan Ferrell, Former Football Player, Killed by Police After Seeking Help Following Car Wreck
- Why Is ‘The New Republic’ Taking Money From an NSA Contractor to Run Defenses of the NSA?
- De Blasio Takes Agenda National—Because He Has To