Nation Topics - Separation of Church and State
News and Features
The law, passed in 1993 with near-unanimous support, has become an excuse for bigotry, superstition and sectarianism.
At a solidarity event in Manhattan, Pussy Riot supporters drew connections between threats to free expression in Russia and in the United States.
The proposed cultural center in lower Manhattan has become the latest target of the right's all-out attack on the First Amendment.
How powerful is he? Take a look at his tax breaks.
We need a new national dialogue to untangle the triumphalist Christian story line that has wrapped itself around our political discourse.
As confirmation hearings open, we already know a great deal about John G. Roberts Jr. He's ethically challenged, ideologically rigid and unfit for the Supreme Court.
Recently it seems discussion on culture goes well beyond careless epithet and into a land with no common ground.
Of all the loathsome spectacles we've endured since November 2--the vampire-like gloating of CNN commentator Robert Novak, Bush embracing his "mandate"--none are more repulsive than that of Democ
Gay marriage shows why we need to separate church & state.
To arms, freethinkers! Religious zealots have hijacked your government!
- Why Is No One Talking About the NYPD Shooter’s Other Target?
- After Cuba, Obama Can Make History by Recognizing Palestine
- The CIA Didn’t Just Torture, It Experimented on Human Beings
- The Day the Troops Refused to Fight: December 25, 1914
- Zephyr Teachout, Hands Up United and John Oliver Made Our 2014 Progressive Honor Roll. Who Else Made the List?
Facebook Like Box