Nation Topics - LGBT
News and Features
The homophobic values vote took a body blow in the midterm elections, helped along by hypocrisy in high places.
How will the GOP woo back values voters after the Foley scandal? How
about a purge of gay Republicans in Congress? That's the Rev. Don
Organizers had hoped the second World Pride conference in Jerusalem would challenge religious bias against gays. But the unfolding war in Lebanon got in the way.
The only thing more absurd than the wedding gift the British government just gave
Socially conservative black churches may be ripe for exploitation by
the Christian right on gay marriage. But that's only part of the story.
Thanks to the fear tactics advocated by the Bush Administration and abetted by many health activists, gay and bisexual men have been engaged in a one-sided conversation about safe sex--all death and no life. Isn't a sex-positive approach more realistic?
From Brokeback Mountain's closeted cowboys to King Kong's
embrace of Anne Darrow, Hollywood has queered cherished icons of
masculinity. But the two films paint a bleak picture: Love that falls
outside the norm must struggle to be something more than
WNBA star Sheryl Swoopes has just come out of the closet. But why
didn't anyone care?
An international furor over the hanging of "two gay teenagers" in Iran.
By engaging the marriage debate only in terms of "gay rights," progressives have put themselves in a losing position.
- New ACLU Cellphone App Automatically Preserves Video of Police Encounters
- 6 Scholars Who Are ‘Reimagining Black Politics’
- 6 Degrees of Separation Between Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton
- ‘Charlie Hebdo’ Deserves Its Award for Courage in Free Expression. Here’s Why.
- Defend Charlie Hebdo’s Publishing Disgusting Cartoons About Muslims? Yes. Give Them an Award for It? No.