Nation Topics - Economic Policy
News and Features
The man behind Fix the Debt has spent decades trying to foment panic over a looming economic disaster, with little to show for it.
The “Fix the Debt” campaign is pure astroturf: corporate cash machinery masquerading as a grassroots uprising.
Dire warnings about the deficit don’t add up mathematically. But then, Fix the Debt is not really about the economy, it’s about gutting Medicare, Social Security and other social programs.
He may not have achieved the full FDR, but the president’s State of the Union speech, like his Inaugural, displayed a welcome progressive spirit.
The decline of the progressive income tax and the rise of inequality.
In the looming debt-ceiling fight, progressives must make the case for protecting social programs, raising revenues and cutting the Pentagon budget.
It’s past time for the rule to stop banks from making making risky bets with consumers’ money. But a House committee hearing devoted itself to stalling and lying about the Volcker Rule.
How a central bank created to exist apart from politics got drawn into bitter political arguments.
A few key points to keep in mind during the "fiscal cliff" negotiations.
- Why GOP Control of the Senate Would Be a Disaster
- This City Came Up With a Simple Solution to Homelessness: Housing
- The Cowardice of Bill Maher’s Anti-Muslim Bigotry
- Did Elizabeth Warren Just Change Her Tune on Running for President?
- Revealed: A New Ethics Scandal Involving the GOP’s South Dakota Senate Candidate
Facebook Like Box