Nation Topics - Economic Policy
News and Features
The decline of the progressive income tax and the rise of inequality.
In the looming debt-ceiling fight, progressives must make the case for protecting social programs, raising revenues and cutting the Pentagon budget.
It’s past time for the rule to stop banks from making making risky bets with consumers’ money. But a House committee hearing devoted itself to stalling and lying about the Volcker Rule.
How a central bank created to exist apart from politics got drawn into bitter political arguments.
A few key points to keep in mind during the "fiscal cliff" negotiations.
Efforts to reduce unemployment and curb inequality must be considered alongside urgent threats to the environment and democracy.
Many governments and popular movements are embracing the need for systemic change.
You know you’re in trouble when the master of structural adjustment says enough is enough.
The “fiscal cliff” is being used to demand cuts that would otherwise be politically impossible.
- How America Became a Third World Country
- The Secret Donors Behind the Center for American Progress and Other Think Tanks
- Why Prosecuting Ariel Castro for Murder Won’t Prevent Violence Against Pregnant Women
- Rahm Emanuel's Zombie Pigs vs. Chicago's Angry Birds
- The First Couple’s Post-Racial Bootstraps Myth