Nation Topics - Cultural Criticism and Analysis
News and Features
Is the well-being of the cultural middle class the key to American creativity?
Ayn Rand was a melodramatist of the moral life: the battle is between the producer and the moochers, and it must end in life or death.
In their defense of “tradition” against the liberating potential of architecture, Prince Charles and Xi Jinping find unlikely common ground.
If nominated, I will run. If elected, I will serve.
A more convivial, expansive and life-affirming future is with us now—and the movies can help take us there.
His essays on police brutality still burn hot, but his understanding of sex, self-knowledge and power demand equal attention now.
Drones have taken on a life of their own in popular culture.
Choreographed for maximum appeal, pop culture likes to say yes. History is made by those who say no.
How evolutionary psychology went viral.
- New ACLU Cellphone App Automatically Preserves Video of Police Encounters
- 6 Scholars Who Are ‘Reimagining Black Politics’
- 6 Degrees of Separation Between Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton
- ‘Charlie Hebdo’ Deserves Its Award for Courage in Free Expression. Here’s Why.
- Defend Charlie Hebdo’s Publishing Disgusting Cartoons About Muslims? Yes. Give Them an Award for It? No.