The Ohio judge who will be presiding over the trial of two high school football players in the Steubenville rape case made three key rulings yesterday.
Judge Thomas Lipps ruled against the defense attorneys’ request to have the trial moved elsewhere due to alleged witness “intimidation” in the small city on the West Virginia border. (The trial, in juvenile court, will not be heard by a jury, so that was not a factor.) But he postponed the trial about a month, to March 13, as those attorneys requested.
But he denied an appeal from the prosecution, and went along with a demand by the media, and decided that it would be open to the public and the press, not closed.
Edward Said, the influential Palestinian-American writer and academic—and longtime Nation contributor—passed away nearly ten years ago, but his legacy lives on in many ways, including musically.
With famed pianist and conductor Daniel Barenboim, he founded the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra in 1999, a unique assembly of mainly young Arab and Israeli musicians, a symbol for collaboration, peace and understanding now known around the world. They performed, in risky and unprecedented events, in Ramallah and in the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea, for example.
As I’ve often written: the two men deserve a Nobel Peace Prize, even if for Said it would be posthumous.

Joe Biden and Barack Obama announce gun control proposals earlier this month. (Reuters/Larry Downing.)
Not so sure it’s that simple, but a piece yesterday at the Washington Post site makes case that the post–Sandy Hook national “debate” over gun violence, proliferation and culture has not faded as quickly as in previous cases because the press has kept it alive, with an assist from the White House.
Well, as the saying goes, “don’t surprise me none.” The new documentary, Dirty Wars, directed by Richard Rowley, and featuring the work (and constant on-screen presence) of The Nation’s own Jeremy Scahill, won a top prize at the Sundance Festival yesterday, gaining the Cinematography award.
It also earned a very positive early eview from Variety. Excerpt:
A reporter for The Nation, Scahill follows a blood-strewn trail from a remote corner of Afghanistan, where covert night raids have claimed the lives of innocents, to the Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC), a shadowy outfit empowered by the current White House to assassinate those on an ever-expanding “kill list,” including at least one American. This jaw-dropping, persuasively researched pic has the power to pry open government lockboxes.
Just saw the astounding, 2013 Oscar-nominated documentary 5 Broken Cameras, which just made it to Netflix this week (presume it’s also now out on DVD).
If you want to see and in a way experience (and you should) the evil of the Israeli settlements and the army attacks on resisters—including deaths and shootings caught on camera—go out of your way to watch it. It chronicles one man’s filming of several years of struggle and protests as the walls go up, the olive trees go up in flames and settlements encroach on his village.
And yes, five cameras get broken over time in the often-violent confrontations.
Last August, I posted here that I was surprised to read in the New York Times fall movie preview that the Coen brothers (not my favorite directors, to say the least) were coming out with a film called Inside Llewyn Davis focusing on one of my favorite subjects: the Greenwich Village folk scene of the early 1960s.
Now, trust me, that was a bit before my time there (though not by much), but I was a huge fan of Dylan and some of the others who haunted the Gaslight, the Bitter End, the Kettle of Fish and other spots back then, when it too was no country for old men.
The film (which didn’t make it for the fall) stars Justin Timberlake and Carey Mulligan, with Adam Driver (of Girls) and John Goodman, and Oscar Isaac in the title role. The title character is not really Bob Dylan but the film apparently opens in 1961, the year Bob came to the Village, and features a young folkie sleeping on couches and scheming to make it big, but without Bob’s drive. (Actually, it is said to be based partly or largely on the memoir of somewhat older folkie Dave Van Ronk.) Part of it was indeed shot in the Village.
When WikiLeaks became a household name, and the material it released caused shock waves around the world, numerous film-makers (veteran or would-be) rushed to buy rights to books and articles. It was difficult to keep track of the plans for docs, TV films and Hollywood productions (and I tried), including one involving Zero Dark Thirty screenwriter Mark Boal.
When WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange’s legal problems mounted, alleged leaker Bradley Manning languished in pre-trial mode and the release of important documents slowed, one had to wonder how many of these films would come to fruition. But now some are finally on the horizon.
And Assange and his backers are not pleased.
If you watched Stephen Colbert interview Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow last night, on the air, you were probably disappointed. Now, let’s stipulate at the outset that we don’t expect Stephen, whose first goal is to be funny and the other is to maintain his faux right-wing blowhard persona, to conduct a truly probing interview with anyone, especially in a six-minute time span. Still, he didn’t have to be that fawning and seemingly clueless about what criticism of the film and its presentation of torture is really about.
This morning, however, Comedy Central put up online an “extended” version of the interview. When Jon Stewart does this—pretty regularly now—it’s usually just that: some Q&A that continued after the taping for the show ended. But the Colbert/Bigelow was “extended” by restoring a minute or so of parts of the original interview edited for the air.
And it turns out the editors did Stephen no favors in cutting out the questions where he did try, briefly, to “nail” her, as he might put it. Here’s the full interview, with my comments below:
Disturbing details on the latest mass killing by firearms in America continue to emerge—but where are the national media?
Nothing proves how common these chilling events have become than the relative shrug and ho-hum about the latest. No wonder these modern day killers—including the latest kid out in New Mexico—who crave notoriety aim to slaughter dozens. How else to cause much of a ripple today?
The New York Times, for example, in print and on its site, had zilch on the New Mexico episode for a full day, and now has nothing but a sketchy AP report.
Yesterday around noon I started covering another mass slaying, this one in Albuquerque, New Mexico. A kid, 15, had been arrested and five had been found shot to death in house where he lived. Something told me this tragic incident would have layers that would reveal much about gun culture and laws in America and the current debate over gun control. But I could not have imagined just how much it would.
Slowly details emerged. An AR-15 semi-automatic rifle was found nearby. The kid was seized after a 911 call. He was IDed as one Nehemiah Griego. One of the dead was dad. The father had served as a local pastor, and was a beloved chaplain to the Albuquerque Fire Dept. and a prison. Then it emerged that the other four deceased were his mom and three siblings—all under the age of 10. Neighbors didn’t know much about the shooter, except he seemed to be wearing camouflage every time they saw him (see photo). Apparently he had been home-schooled.
Then, this morning, the Albuquerque Journal posted many shocking details. The weapons included not just the AR-15 but more. He had gotten them out of his father’s unlocked closet, not a gun safe, after he had a “minor disagreement” with his mother. He shot her in her bed, then the three little kids, in their beds. Mulitple times. Perhaps with the semi-auto rifle. Waited a few hours, then shot dad when he came home.


