Each week we post a run-down of the best of our reader comments with the hopes of highlighting some of your most valuable insights and encouraging more people to join the fray. Let us know what you think—in the comments!
Elliot Pepper: Senator Lugar (R-Indiana), who is campaigning for re-election, and the Chamber of Commerce are running local TV ads in favor of Keystone XL. Apparently, people in the Hoosier state should support it as long as the human and environmental consequences will presumably affect citizens only in other states, like Texas. That way, Big Oil will continue to pay for Lugar’s votes in Congress, just as they have for decades.
In response to Peter Rothberg’s "Texans Unite Against Keystone Pipeline."February 23, 2012
Renifer: All austerity does is punish those that had no hand in creating the problem. The problem is not creating an environment for a growing economy, and Reagan/Bush and Bush/Cheney did not create growing economies for everyone, they created wealth redistribution through tax loopholes and raising taxes on the poor. Bush/Cheney raised the debt ceiling 8 times without a blip on anyone’s radar. Now they want to deliberately crash a growing and recovering economy just to get control of power at the highest levels so that they can steal some more. The Republicans handed the working poor a deficit of 13.5 trillion dollars and then had the gall to talk about "personal responsibility" while they hide on huge estates with their millions.
From Katrina vanden Heuvel’s "The Failure of Austerity Politics." February 21, 2012
Jill otey: Let me start by apologizing in advance for this semi-coherent rant, but I am livid and for some reason this article and these comments have set off my fuse.
I am female.
I am gay.
I was sexually assaulted as a small child by three significantly older males acting independently of one another.
The assaults were not isolated one-time incidents.
I became a prosecutor and tried homicides and sex crimes.
In that capacity I saw:
– Photographs seized by search warrant of a defendant, an adult male, fully penetrating the body of a female infant no older than a few months.
– Vaginal warts on the anus of a three year old girl… during her autopsy.
– A gay woman my age tied to a bed and burned to death after having been vaginally and anally raped.
– A 5 year old boy who was so sexualized by abuse that he tried to put his hand up my skirt in front of the grand jury because he didn’t know any other way to connect with another human being.
– So many adult women rape victims that their suffering almost became unshocking to me (and that is when and why I finally left the legal profession).
I am beyond sick of how women are treated by angry men, psychotic men, violent men. But I am also sick and tired of how women are treated by paternalistic/condescending men and Christian men whose "good" book is based on the premise that men were made directly from God and women were made from the rib of man, thus women are lesser in the eyes of their Lord. That book is riddled with misogyny and violence and hatred. And its proponents today seem riddled with hatred toward women who refuse to submit to their dominion.